Under the Patronage of
Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai
• Speaker at World Economic Forum 2020. Davos-Klosters.
• Regular Keynote Speaker about FinTech, Cryptocurrencies and Blockchain as well as Islamic Finance
• Member of the Advisory Board UK Islamic Finance (REDMoney - IFN)
• IFN Correspondent for the Global Private Equity and Venture Capital Sector (REDMondey - IFN)
• Professor of Islamic Finance at IE Business School (Madrid, Spain): Master of Islamic Finance
• Professor of Capital Markets and Corporate Finance at IE Business School (Madrid, Spain)
• Postgraduate Harvard Kennedy School of Government (HARVARD University. Cambridge, Massachussets. US) Postgraduate IESE Business School (Universidad de Navarra, Spain)
• Bachelor Degree in Business Administration CUNEF (Universidad Complutense Madrid, Spain) 23 + years of experience in Private Equity, Venture Capital and Investment Banking (Islamic and Conventional) Having managed and Launched 6 Private Equity Funds in Europe (4 Private Equity Funds for SMEs) and promoting 1 Islamic PE Fund for Bahrain (Middle East) and 1 VC Fund of Funds. Deep knowledge of Professional Standards for the Private Equity and Venture Capital Industry (ILPA, IPEV, EVCA) Taking part in the live cycle of a Private Equity Fund: Fundraising, Legal Structuring and Placement, Hunting, Investing, Monitoring and Exits. Working closely with Entrepreneurs, Startups and SMEs. Experience in Islamic Banking and Finance (Shari’ah Compliant) products 2018 Fundraiser (Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, Oman and Spain) Fundraiser and Senior International Advisor for Global PE/VC Fund Managers seeking funds and partners (strategic partners) in United States, Europe and Middle East, closing ties with local GCC’s governments, SWFs, Pension Funds, Islamic Financial Institutions, Family Offices, UHNWI and Spanish Private Institutions. Advising GCC investors seeking investment opportunities in Spain 2017-2018 Head of Private Equity KD FUNDS-MANAGEMENT COMPANY, LLC (Ljubljana, Slovenia) Launching Growth Equity Private Equity Fund for SMEs (Slovenia, Croatia and other SEE countries) targeting total commitments of a total sum (hard cap) of EUR100Mio. 2014-2017 Head of Investments at BAHRAIN DEVELOPMENT BANK (Manama, Bahrain) Launching the Investment Division from scratch. Promoting different Funds and investment initiatives (Islamic Private Equity Fund, full-fledged Shari’ah Compliant) for SMEs and other initiatives like Al Waha VC Fund of Funds for a sum of USD100Mio (to be deployed in GCC and International Fund Managers). Managing the treasury desk and direct investment portfolio of the Bank 2005-2012 Investment Director at EBN CAPITAL (Madrid, Spain) He managed three different PE Funds for a total sum of EUR120Mio and LPs such as European Investment Fund, France Telecom and Spanish Saving Banks. Targeting Buyouts, Growth and Expansion and aVC Fund for Startups and Greenfield projects 2004-2005 Director of Corporate Finance and TAS at BDO (Madrid, Spain) Conducting Due Diligence, Feasibility studies, and Valuations of projects and companies backed by Private Equity Funds and Private Investors. 2001-2004 Investment Director at Diana Capital (Madrid, Spain) He managed one Private Equity Fund for SMEs of a total sum of EUR70Mio. LPs such as saving banks, local banks, insurance companies and international financial institutions 1996-2001 Senior Analyst M&A and Corporate Finance at HSBC IPOs, Buying and Selling mandates. (Madrid, Spain) Other: Board member of companies in sectors such as Food (Fish and Mushroom), Manufacturing (Packaging), Financial Services, Healthcare (http://gulfdiabetes.com/board-of-directors/), and others Mentor: CH-9 Incubator (Manama, Bahrain) http://chnine.com/mentors. Flat6Labs (Beirut, Lebanon) MIT Enterprise Forum Arab Startup Competition (PAN ARAB REGION) December 2017-April 2018 (Muscat, Oman): is an avid promoter of entrepreneurship and innovation worldwide affiliated with the MIT University. I’ve been member of the Judge grading applications (Start-ups) for that edition (Muscat, Oman December 2017 - April 2018) https://www.mitarabcompetition.com/en/site/final-round-judges Regular Keynote Speaker between 2015 and 2019 in the Gulf region (GCC) and Asia:
• Middle East Investment Summit (Terrapin) Dubai 2019
• Megermarket Dubai 2019
• IFN Summit REDMoney Conference (Islamic Finance) 2019
• AIM Abu Dhabi, UAE 2019
• 8th Middle East Family Office Conference. Artificial Intelligence & Based Machine Learning, Dubai, UAE 2019 https://ritossafamilyoffice.com/
• IFN World Leaders Redmoney Event: The Global Islamic Asset Management Industry: Challenges and Opportunities Going Forward. Dubai, UAE 2019 https://redmoneyevents.com/event/ifnwls19/
• FinTech Hive (DIFC), Dubai UAE 2019: FinTech, Blockchain and Cryptocurrencies into the Islamic Finance Industry. https://fintechhive.difc.ae/events-news/breakfast-buzz-10-how-fintech-will-improve-and-do-more-accessible-islamic-finance
• AIM Dubai, UAE 2018
• Astana International Financial Centre, for the Central Bank of Kazakhstan, for the Association of European Business in Kazakhstan, and for the Nazarbayev University School of Business. Kazakhstan (Astana and Almaty)
• GPAS Istanbul 2017 (HUMANIST IN FINANCE: The Future of the Islamic Venture Capital Industry) November 2017 https://www.gpasistanbul.com/en/speakers;
• 4th Mediterranean Islamic Forum, sponsored by CIBAFI, Bahrain (Al Andalus Islamic Private Equity Fund for Spain and Morocco. The First Islamic Private Equity Fund Shari’ah Compliant for Spain and Morocco) November 2017 http://www.medaeconomicweek.org/speakers/
• Euromoney Conference The GCC Financial Forum (Manama, Bahrain) February 2015 http://www.euromoneyconferences.com/Video/3433508/GCC-2015-Emilio-Escartin.html
10:00 - 11:00
Startup Pillar Session 2 - Fintech: Future of Financial Services
- How is Fintech Startup revolutionising the banking industry?
- Banks competing with Fintech companies and surviving the disruption.
- What kind of challenges do Fintech Startup face and what causes them to fail?