Under the Patronage of
Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai
Harj Dhaliwal oversees all customer activity and projects for Virgin Hyperloop One in the Middle East and India. With over 35 years of civil engineering experience, he has a proven track record for managing mega rail and infrastructure projects in complex challenging environments around the world. He began his career as a contractor, moved into consulting and has held senior management roles in global client and consulting organizations. Harj has spent the last 22 years in the development, delivery, and management of heavy rail, light rail, and metro projects including PPP, PFI and D&B projects across Europe and the Middle East. Notably, he was the Programme Director for the delivery and operation of the first national heavy railway in the UAE - Etihad Rail. Prior to Virgin Hyperloop One, Harj was the Senior Vice President for the International Rail, Transit and Systems business at Parsons Corporation where he was responsible for some of the largest and most complex rail and metro projects in the world and led a team of over 450 staff. Prior to joining Parsons in 2012, Harj led the development of several multibillion- euro rail and transit programs in the UK and Ireland. Harj is a Chartered Civil Engineer, member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, Member of the UK Engineering Council, and holds a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from Nottingham Trent University, UK. Harj is based in Virgin Hyperloop One’s Dubai office.
10:00 – 11:30
FC Pillar Session 2 - Smart Mobility and Future of Urban Development
According to the United Nations ‘World Urbanisation Prospects’ report published in 2014, 75% of the world’s population is expected to live in urban areas by the year 2050. Currently, 54% of the global population is located in cities. Between now and 2020, the global urban population is expected to jump by about 1.84% per year.
- Population boom and urbanisations puts a lot of strain on resources & calls for smart cities with meticulously urban design to promote efficiency, eco-friendly and sustainability.
- Transforming traditional cities to smart cities and their challenges.
- Identifying solutions to combat security issues
- Building the trust of smart city citizens
- Building smart cities with safety and intelligent mobility.
- Future of Autonomous and Electric Cars and its impact.
- How will future mobility impact the residents of tomorrow's smart cities?
- Traffic Management: Top priority for many smart cities