Under the Patronage of
Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai
Alan Williams has served as UPS Vice President Expo 2020 Sponsorship & Operations since March 2017
when UPS became a partner of Expo 2020 Dubai. Alan was involved with the RFQ submission and
negotiation of the UPS sponsorship prior to this.
Alan has responsibility for the delivery of the UPS Logistics of the event as well as the Sponsorship
Activation that supports it. The logistics comprises of warehousing, distribution, venue logistics, forwarding,
small-package delivery, brokerage and customs compliance
Alan has worked for UPS for 30 years with the majority of that time being spent in Europe, but also with
assignments in the US and Asia. His background is mostly in Operations Management, but has also included
time in Engineering, M&A and as Director General of UPS France for 3 years before leading UPS’
Partnership with the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics.
Alan has always had a passion for all things sustainable and was central to the development and delivery of
UPS’ highly regarded Sustainability Program for London 2012.
He has an Honours Degree in Engineering with Business Studies, is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of
Logistics & Transportation, and is married with two children.
10:00 - 11:30
FC Pillar Session 2 - Smart Mobility and Future of Urban Development
According to the United Nations ‘World Urbanisation Prospects’ report published in 2014, 75% of the world’s population is expected to live in urban areas by the year 2050. Currently, 54% of the global population is located in cities. Between now and 2020, the global urban population is expected to jump by about 1.84% per year.
- Population boom and urbanisations puts a lot of strain on resources & calls for smart cities with meticulously urban design to promote efficiency, eco-friendly and sustainability.
- Transforming traditional cities to smart cities and their challenges.
- Identifying solutions to combat security issues
- Building the trust of smart city citizens
- Building smart cities with safety and intelligent mobility.
- Future of Autonomous and Electric Cars and its impact.
- How will future mobility impact the residents of tomorrow's smart cities?
- Traffic Management: Top priority for many smart cities